Monday, August 25, 2008

I Feel Like I Am In An Episode of Queer As Folk

There was a ring on my door bell yesterday and standing there was a man and his daughter (the daughter was around 8 years old). Both were clean cut looking and looked very respectful kind of like every one's "All American". These two were what everyone expires to be (Everyone in the evangelical and fundamentalists church would be more proper to say.). The man handed me a handbill in support of Proposition 8. What is Proposition 8 you may ask well this proposition is as follows:

Proposition 8 is an initiative measure on the 2008 California General Election ballot that, if passed, would amend the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry. The measure as submitted for the ballot by petitioners is called the California
Marriage Protection Act." (Cite: wttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_(2008)

So this is the stuff we are going to get inundate with between now and the election. I bunch of people who are going to save California from the evil which has been perceived to have fallen on the Sun Shine State (And zealous and persistent are these people.). Don't get me wrong I understand these people and don't mean anything harsh (I was raised as one of them.). Why would this man take his daughter door to door to hand out these handbills? That seemed kind of strange to me. But, anyway I visited a friends church a month ago and the pastor immediately went off on same sex marriages. I couldn't wait to get out of that church. I didn't feel any love there. This whole thing is non-ending and makes me feel like I am living in seasons 3 and 5 of Queer as Folk.

No comments: