Monday, July 21, 2008

My Lesbian Friend S

I have a friend named S (or I had a friend because she has completely vanished) who is a very nice person. My heart instantly warmed to her the minute I met her (For some reason we just really clicked and I cared very much about her.). She would come to church and it was a joy to be around her. Then one day she instantly disappeared. Even her best friend L had lost all contact with her (And I knew there had to be some reason behind this broken friendship.). Well, after some reluctance (I really don’t like going around snooping into things that happen at church) the reason came out. S (who had been going to one of those gay recovery groups) had announced she was still gay and that is the way she was going to stay. She was instantly cut off from all church relationships (which is just totally outrageous) and even her best friend L had ceased all contact with her. I have tried to contact S with no success. Anyway this entire situation has set me off on a journey that I could never have imagined (And I am finding out things about myself I never knew). At first I was stunned (I couldn’t believe these people I knew would act this way), then I felt total outrage and then I went on a journey of self-discovery. This journey in fact had begun long before this and started at my conservative Christian college with my best friend J who would also find out he was gay (Actually there was a lot of gay people on campus I would find out later.). On the first part of the journey when I found out my friend J was gay (I eventually just stopped going to church for this and other reasons), but I swore I would never do this again. So I have started attending churches that are progressive and I am really getting it from my conservative friends. So I will eventually, most likely, end up like S thrown out to the wolves and it is really hard to maintain friendships with these people.

No comments: